A blog about various philosophical issues including logical and rational thought processes.
Translate
Tuesday, September 17, 2013
Relative Reality
Reality is relative. I have come to this realization of late in part due to a Logic class, and also due to the happenings of life. Every other person I will ever meet will have a differing view of things (some very little, others a great deal). Even should two people agree on everything in life, their views are different. There is no way around this, it is a simple fact. I could see a tree, for example, and another can see a car, and another a skyscraper. Each view is equally valid, and equally true. Simply because my senses say it is true do not make that any more true, as our senses deceive us all the time. I cannot verify what I see, by any means. I cannot prove what I experience is real. Proving said experience with the proposition that I experience it is simply circular logic and faulty. If two people see two different things, one cannot say which is right, nor which is wrong, only that they are seen. For those of you who think more people who agree with you solves this, also false. More people seeing the same does not assure validity or even a chance of validity, as reality can neither be proven or disproved. So, reality is a relative term that has neither validity or falsity.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Are you familiar with the philosophy presented in the song "There is a Mountain"?
ReplyDeleteNot currently! But I will be soon.
DeleteYou would benefit from watching "Inception," "The Matrix," "Memento," "The Sixth Sense," "The Prestige," and "The Usual Suspects."
ReplyDeleteI will watch them then, my good man!
DeletePerception is relative but there are absolute truths. Without a constant thread we'd spiral into relativistic meaninglessness.
ReplyDeleteHmmmmmm, now I want to find out what these truths are and what their complete meanings and impacts are. Thank you for the added enlightenment, my man!
DeleteThere are absolute truths in respect to individuals, but we need to realize how variable they can be.
ReplyDeleteHmmmm, I'll have to think about that. And, it is true. Thanks for the input, big guy!
Delete